Cards

About Us

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bathroom mirrors

Okay, this post is not a card post!  But I've been creative lately in a different sort of way.  I've been drooling over this framed mirror tutorial and wanted to give it a try.  So here is the end result!

Sorry about the random roll of toilet paper in the pic.  You see that cute 2 year old in the corner of the mirror?  He's got a love for unrolling fresh new rolls of toilet paper into the toilet. Do you have any idea how much toilet paper costs these days?  Good thing he's cute.

I made this with MDF board.  I don't have a table saw (yet), so I had the guy at Home Depot cut me three strips at 3.5 inches and one at 5 inches wide.  I used my hubby's brand new miter saw that he got for Christmas to cut the lengths right. I also bought some small crown molding. I painted everything then sanded down the edges to give a distressed look.  Then hung it all directly on the mirror with liquid nails.  That's right, not a single nail was used!  The secret is to buy the liquid nails that sets in 15 minutes. Worked gloriously! I plan to paint this bathroom a nice, soft tan color, so I pre-painted the edges before I glued the frame boards on. The cost was $15.



Next I did the master bathroom. I think the fresh new blade made all the difference when I cut these boards. Again, I pre-painted the boards, then distressed them. The cost was about $40 for this one. In the tutorial, she used two different kinds of boards, but I didn't want such a big frame around mine and money was an issue since I was also in the middle of replacing my transmission and overhauling my computer. Ugg. so I picked an A-symmetrical baseboard piece that was a little on the large side. I love how it turned out!


 


The shower curtain is on its way out and someday I'll be done with baby mode and can take my changing table pad out of my bathroom, but for now, this is currently my favorite room in the house!

4 comments:

  1. Looks great, Emily! It really amps up the bathroom, I think. Can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS! It really looks fabulous...thanks for participating in "Create With Me"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing! I just learned something new - Liquid Nails that sets in 15 minutes? I ended up NOT being able to glue directly to the mirror because I didn't know such a thing existed. And I love using the MDF board ripped down into strips. I have used it a ton. Used it all over my bathroom. Kari has my before and after but it links to my whole bathroom re-do at Tuesdsayswithmolly.blogspot.com. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very unique stuff shared in this blog shared from your side and also its been well described. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Kitchens east Auckland




    ReplyDelete